Our Leh Heritage walk is a day tour visit to Leh Old Town. In a day we will be completing total 28 heritage sites, there is so much to learn, see and capture in a day. It will start from Lala’s Art Cafe which was saved from demolition in 2006, now it is successfully transformed into gallery cum café serving the old town and offering Ladakhi and international artists and photographers a small platform to exhibit their work.
The tour will start at 10 in the morning and you will be visiting the antique yet the well preserved site one by one as follow
1. Namgyal Tsemo Tower and Chapel, built by King Tashi Namgyal
2. Tsemo Lhamo Goenkhang (protector temple), built by King Tashi Namgyal after visiting over an invading army from Yarkand in 1532.
3. Tsemo Chamba Lhakhang (Maitreya Temple), built by Tragspa Bumde (r.ca. 1400-1440)
4. Leh Palace, Leh-chen Pel-Khar, built by King Senge Namgyal) (r.ca, 1616-1642), since the overthrow of the dynasty in the mid-19th century vacated, currently owned by the Indian government, restored by the Archeological survey of India.
5. Namgyal Choerten, Buddhist Stupa to protect the palace.
6. Guru Lhakhang, a Buddhist Shrine built in the early 17th century and operated by 44 Buddhist families of Leh, restored 2004-2005 by THF/L.O.T.
7. Lonpo House, formerly the residence of one of the king’s ministers, presently owned by Chemrey monastery.
8. Gonpa Soma built in 1840 by Lama Tashi Tenpal above the old royal stables.
9. Gonpa Soma’s chamra courtyard; here the Ladakhi group LASOL perform traditional songs and dances.
10. Red Chamba Lhakhang; the red temple of Maitreya was built by king Tragspa Bumde (ca. 1400-1440); it was restored in the 19th century after a Dogra invasion, and again in the 1950’s when it was partly rebuilt. In 2005 THF/L.O.T.I. discovered underneath whitewash remains of the original 15th century wall paintings. These were brought back and conversed by a group of Romanian, German, Belgian and Ladakhi restorers and restoration students.
11. Chenrezi Lhakhang (temple of Avalokiteshvara), built in the 17th century as main monastic assembly hall of Leh.
12. :akruk house, one of the best-preserved old leh mansion houses, currently the office of THF/L.O.T.I.
13. Stupa gate.
14. Stalam (horse road) leading up to the palace.
15. Munshi house, formarly home to a royal secretary, under conversion into an art center by the Mumbai based group Lamo.
16. White Champa Lhakhang, the white Maitreya temple, also credited to king Tragspa Bumde in the 15th century.
17. Manikhang, a group of Stupas close to the now demolished main entrance gate to old Leh town.
18. Sankar house formerly the home of the keeper of the white Maitreya temple, now a gallery cum café operated by THF/L.O.T.I; in the groundfloor is a chapel room with stone carvings =, and upstairs are exhibitions about the history of Leh and art by Ladakhi artists.
19. Jama Masjid, Sunni mosque, founded around 1666/7
20. Stupa gate to old town
21. Chutayrangtak street, where bread is freshly baked
22. Tsas Soma Masjid Sharif (Sunni0
23. Shi’a Masjid-e-Sharif
24. Leh Jokhang, the new main Buddhist temple for Leh built in 1957-1962 by the Ladakh Buddhist association
25. Stupa gate
26. Old carved gateway to the former Tehsildar office
27. Stagopilog stupagate, THF/L.O.T.I. paved the alley with slate stone and built a drain, and restored the historic Sofi and Hor Yarkandi houses
28. Mani Wall
The tour ends…
Dear Overland Escape, My family just returned back from Leh and we all agreed that we left part of our heart there - and one of the biggest reasons why was our experience with the team at Overland Escape. From the moment we arrived everything was smooth and the orientation and meetings at the hotel were very helpful. We were expertly driven to see the sights with Doulje and we quickly became comfortable with him and his very easy going spirit (which was perfect with two kids). He adapted very well to our personality and we shared good laughs. We had quite the adventure with Lobzang, Tulag and Tanzing. The rains interrupted our itinerary, but we always felt comfortable and safe with the decision making ability of the team. When we decided to make the best of it by camping in Zeng Chen they made sure they could make it as special as possible. Dinner that evening was amazing! A very special thank you to Lobzang who really looked after our 8-year old son Alex. Alex especially felt a connection with him and Lobzang was very patient and friendly. I know that creating a special experience for others is not about luck - it's about working hard to build a team of good people and having pride in what you do and where you live. The magic is about making it seem easy even though I know it's not and the team worked really hard. My family will remember this very special experience and we can't wait to come back again.
Our trip was even more memorable and enjoyable because of the facilities that Overland Escape provided us.Mr. Tunduk Namgyal, who drove us in and around Ladakh , was very well versed with the roads, had an excellent idea about the climate and all the information & history about the places we visited. Overland provided us excellent hotel arrangements and made sure our trip was one of the best ever....
It's been a week since we've returned to the hustle and bustle of Hong Kong and we haven't stopped raving and reminiscing about the fabulous time we had trekking from Raru to Shang Sumdo. We just wanted you to know that we have really enjoyed having Namgyal as our guide. His enthusiasm to share his knowledge of the wildlife and the local culture has enriched the experience of our trek tenfold. Just when the walking sometimes gets too tedious, he would point out a herd of blue sheep, a pug mark left by a snow leopard or a few wild asses on a ridge; wild life we would have missed have we been trudging on our own. He knows when to slow down and quicken the pace when there is need. We have felt really safe and well looked after by your staff the whole time. There was one particular river crossing that we were quite worried as we have read that the river can be uncrossable in July. Fortunately with all the prayers and offerings that Namgyal has made to Buddha along the trek, it must have paid off as the river did not swell to an unmanageable level. Namgyal, together with Tulag and Nawang helped us across the river safely.
We've also enjoyed the variety of food Tulag prepared for us every meal and the effort your staff had made to make the dining tent a cosy place to eat (candles and napkins! wow!) His kitchen tent is so organized and as we are used to preparing our own simple food when camping, it is a really pleasant change not to worry about that aspect this time round. He has definitely impressed us with his apple pie, pizza and cake-baking skill. Since our return, I have tried to replicate one of his egg curry recipe but somehow haven't got it quite right yet.
Overall, we have really been very impressed by your attentive and hardworking staff and your recommendation of the trek route couldn't have been better. The remoteness of the trek route is a big plus for us. Thank you for a fabulous trekking experience.
Overland Escape helped us discover the amazing Nubra Valley, then guided us through the spectacular Markha Valley trek and also arranged for a successful summit bid on Kang Yatze 2 (6200m). An amazing trek! Overland were professional and friendly. Our guide (Namgyal) and support team were fantastic and we would highly recommend them to anyone wanting to experience the wonders of Ladakh. We would love to return and will certainly be in touch with Overland Escape to plan our next adventure....
Thank you very much for your all Support & Service.Hotel, Bike & tents all the services are up to the Mark. We must say the correct and prompt support from Your Side was appreciable. Guest is Satisfied and Happy with All Services.
Thanks Again for Making Tour Memorabe!
That’s about all Ladhkhi I could learn in one week from Tundup.
Recently my wife and me had the pleasure of visiting Leh and some of the popular surrounding areas like Ule / Lamayuru, Nubra Valley and Pangong lake.
Our visit was from July 3 to 10, 2016 and was indeed a very nice trip. This was made possible because of the 2 persons who attended and took care of us.
One was Mr Tsetan, who took care of our welfare and gave us the necessary guidance, advise which is much needed in a new place. The second person was our driver, Tundup, who drives the Innova
with regn no. JK ------2962. Tundup was always very prompt, well behaved , courteous and acted as the perfect guide. Through you, I would like to thank both of them for making our visit to Leh memorable indeed.
Unfortunately, circumstances did not allow me to meet you while we were in Leh. However, on a personal note, I would like to thank you and your team for taking good care of us. May , by the grace of Lord Buddha, your company grows to greater heights.
Please take care of Tsetan and Tundup. They are both very good boys.
Please do call me if and whenever you are in New Delhi. It will be a pleasure to meet you.
Thanking you very much.